One of the most important duties and privileges of being a parent is praying for our children. But what should we pray for them? Here are some things that I pray for my daughter every day and may help you as you pray for your children.
- Pray that God would turn their hearts to Him: In other words, pray for their salvation! Pray that they would fully surrender their lives to Christ. We should pray about this matter as if their eternal destiny were at stake – because it is! If they are saved already, then this means pray that they would be more than a nominal Christian. Pray that they would not be a casual Christian, but a Christian who is on fire and excited about Jesus Christ!
- Pray that they would hate all evil, sin, and wickedness. Pray that God would put a sour taste in their mouths for sin. Proverbs 8:13 says, “To fear the Lord is to hate evil.”
- Pray that they would be quick to repent from any sin they commit. Ask God to make them deeply sorry for any sin that they may commit, for every harsh word, greedy or lustful look, and prideful, selfish act. Pray that sin would not harden their heart, but break their heart and make them cry out as the Psalmist did, “Create in me a clean heart, O God.”
- Pray that God would keep them from the evil one. Satan is a formidable foe. He attacks our kids at every opportunity available. The best protection for this is a father and mother who diligently pray for God to put a hedge of protection around their children.
- Pray that they would be bearing the fruit of the Spirit, not the deeds of the flesh! You know what they are, right?
Certainly there is much more we could pray for our kids, these are just some suggestions. At the very least, do your kids a favor and don’t pray vaguely for them, such as, “Lord, please bless so and so.” Pray definitely, that is, specifically. Beseech God Almighty to graciously move in specific ways in your kids life and watch God work!
How do you pray for your kids? Have any ones to add to this list? Share it with us!